Help with a chemistry project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Help with a chemistry project

Postby Erin Marie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 am

I am doing a chemistry project for a school project and my idea is to make milk into plastic, but I want to see which kind of milk makes the better plastic. The question I have is what would be the best vinegar amount to use to test this project?
Erin Marie

Project Question: Chemistry: making plastic from milk. I am working on a slightly different project, I am testing what type of milk makes the best plastic and what type makes the worst
Project Due Date: Jan. 30
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Help with a chemistry project

Postby edneu3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

One of the great things about science experiments is the experiment - that is discovering on your own what works and what does not work.

You should set up your experiment first with a single kind of milk and discover for yourself what happens using different amounts of vinegar.

Here's an excellent web site that will give you some good background on the process of making plastic from milk:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... lk-plastic

Then you could move on to see how those different amounts of vinegar work with different kinds of milk.

I hope you have fun with this project!
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science