Electrolyte Challenge. Need Help - ASAP

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Electrolyte Challenge. Need Help - ASAP

Postby JapanHat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Hello everyone. Recently, I started working on the Electrolyte challenge for my science fair project. I hooked everything up, made sure my battery was full, fuse not blown, etc. But I found two problems. My first problem was the fact that my multimeter didn't have DCA, ACV, etc. settings. It had these types of settings:
What kind of setting should I use?
So trying to guess, I used the V with the lines and dashed lines on 200 to test my liquids. When I put it in gatorade, i got something like 8.4. But when I put it in tap water, it was 8.4, salt water, 8.4 and etc. What am I doing wrong?
Also, Note: i used the COM and VΩ
This here is my finished product...
Please help. I have try to fix it many times but I have had no success
JapanHat

Project Question: How much electrolytes are in a drink [Electrolyte Challenge]
Project Due Date: March 1st, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Electrolyte Challenge. Need Help - ASAP

Postby theborg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 am

JapanHat,

Thank you for your question. In this case, you are using the multimeter to monitor current through the circuit. Your device has a separate plugin for the red wire. It looks like from your 2nd picture that the dial is in the right position to measure DCA and your circuit is correct. Leave the black wire plugged into COM but move the red wire from the hole on the right to the one just to the left, mA. You have it set to measure voltage and resistance vs. current. Let us know if this fixes your issues.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby JapanHat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm

I had to research for a while now, ask help from my teachers, and I see why it has to go into the mA hole. But when I tried putting this in any liquids, closing the circuit, all I got was 00.0. I checked all my circuits and it was fine, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong now.

Also, thank you for your reply!
JapanHat

Postby theborg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm

JapanHat,

Given the info you've provided, my money is on something wrong with the Digital Multimeter (DMM). When a DMM reads 0 all of the time regardless of configuration or item it is measuring, it often points to a blown fuse. Refer to your DMM owners manual to find out how to locate and check the fuse. If it is blown, you can usually buy replacement fuses at your local hardware store for just a few $$. If you have access to another DMM, you could verify your readings that way. You could also check to make sure the battery in you DMM isn't dead, but this usually results in your device not even powering on. However, before you start digging into the guts of the DMM, you could check (if not done already) the freshness of your 9V battery in your circuit. You might just change all batteries for known fresh ones, just to be sure. It needs to be as fresh as possible to generate readable results. The current generated by this circuit with everything at full strength is still going to be quite small (milli to micro amps). A week battery will not have the power to generate a current above the minimum threshold of your DMM.

Please post back and let us know how your troubleshooting is progressing.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton

Postby JapanHat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am

theborg wrote: snip.

It worked! Thank you soo much!!! After many weeks of frustration, we finally got it to work! Thank you!

So we changed several things on our circuit. First, we switched multimeters. Then we tried connecting it again with the red wire in the 10A hole and the black wire in the regular COM hole. After we connected everything, it for some reason didn't work. We were confused for a while, but after some research, I found out that electrolytes are substances dissolved in water that conducts electricity. Then I saw several videos on researchers using somewhat of the same circuit as ours, except instead of a multimeter, they used a lightbulb. I thought that I could replace the lightbulb, so I made the same circuit, attached it to the multimeter, and got better results! When I dipped my conductance sensor in distilled water, I got .00. Inside tap water, I got the reading, .01. And in Orange Juice, I got .05!

Thank you for helping us get our problem solved and ready for our Science Fair!
JapanHat

Postby theborg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm

So glad it worked out. Good luck with your science fair.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Postby JapanHat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 am

I was wondering if I could put your name in References and Acknowledgments. You have helped me a lot and I would like to thank you for that.
JapanHat

Postby theborg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 pm

JapanHat,

Thank you for the consideration. I'm really glad you found this forum so helpful. I am honored and humbled that you would like to acknowledge the help you received. If you wish, you can put David B. or you can use my alias "theborg".

However, the support you received in my posts go deeper than just me. It represents not only my own knowledge and experience, but research I've done into other products and posts located within the Science Buddies forum that other SB experts have contributed to as well.

If you wish to acknowledge and reference the help you received, can I suggest thanking the Science Buddies organization/forum as a whole? This would be fitting and help key others into the existence of this wonderful resource for science, technology, engineering, and math.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Postby JapanHat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 am

theborg wrote:JapanHat,

Thank you for the consideration. I'm really glad you found this forum so helpful. I am honored and humbled that you would like to acknowledge the help you received. If you wish, you can put David B. or you can use my alias "theborg".

However, the support you received in my posts go deeper than just me. It represents not only my own knowledge and experience, but research I've done into other products and posts located within the Science Buddies forum that other SB experts have contributed to as well.

If you wish to acknowledge and reference the help you received, can I suggest thanking the Science Buddies organization/forum as a whole? This would be fitting and help key others into the existence of this wonderful resource for science, technology, engineering, and math.

Ok thank you and I will reference Science Buddies also! Thank you for helping us with our project!
JapanHat

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science