Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
Hello. I did the "Sound Off" experiment recently as a science projects for my school. I finally concluded that the folk position was the loudest. The only thing is is that I need a reason it was the loudest for my conclusion. I have searched many hours for a reason and have found nothing! I NEED HELP PLEASE! my project is due tomorrow tommorow 1/14/13.
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm
- Occupation: student: 8th grade
- Project Question: Hello, I did this project and I discovered that the Folk position produced the most sound. The only thing is that I need to know why the folk position was the loudest. I have done a lof of research and found nothing. Please help me.
- Project Due Date: monday 1/14/13
- Project Status: I am conducting my research
Welcome to science buddies and thank you for your question. I'm not a guitar player, and therefore not entirely familiar with the different holding techniques. However, after looking into the project, my thought is that whichever technique allows the most vibration of the soundboard at an angle most directed at the microphone is going to register a higher amplitude. It seems to me that the folk style requires less "body" holding of the guitar than the classic style. Since the soundboard is the part that collects and amplifies the sound generated by the strings, the more free it is to vibrate the louder and fuller the sound is going to be. Also, the sound tends to be directional out the front of the instrument, therefore, the more it is pointed at your microphone the louder it will be. This is of course assuming you have played the same note with the same strum force, as much as possible, in all tests.
Hope this helps.
Science Buddies science fair guide:
Science Buddies project ideas:
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm
- Occupation: US Air Force Space & Missile Operations
- Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
- Project Due Date: N/A
- Project Status: Not applicable
Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests