[removed/]

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

[removed/]

Postby cooleb09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm

[ removed/]
Last edited by cooleb09 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cooleb09

Occupation: Student enrolled in courses from 9th grade to 11th grade
Project Question: The construction of a scanning tunneling microscope.
Project Due Date: 31/1/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Scanning Tunneling Microscope write up format

Postby edneu3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm

This sounds like some very interesting work.

If you haven't yet discovered this section of the Science Buddies web site, check it out:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... port.shtml

I feel it gives VERY good direction on how to communicate, that is "write up", any good bit of scientific research.

Although you have not completed your work, it is still appropriate for you to document what you have accomplished. In this case you will need to spend some effort to describe what additional work will be needed to complete your project.

I would consider your project more of an "engineering" project, than a "scientific" one. Rather than state a hypothesis, you should focus on stating the problem, or your objective. You can still present the questions you are attempting to answers and discuss the variables and experiments you have conducted. Present the conclusions you have reached as a result of these experiments, even if your experiments have failed. Those still teach you what "is not" true, or what approach will not work.

I hope this helps you.

Although this is a lot of work, I hope you find it enjoyable, fulfilling, and have FUN!
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science