How well will I do with this?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How well will I do with this?

Postby Arby » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

I bought the Horizon fuel cell set http://www.super-science-fair-projects. ... n-kit.html. How well will i do with it
Arby

Project Question: ???
Project Due Date: March 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How well will I do with this?

Postby rmarz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am

Arby - I'm not familiar with the kit, but following the link you sent, it is very interesting. As to how well you will do with it depends how you use the kit parts to demonstrate, illustrate, measure and tell the story about energy cycles using a fuel cell as the basis of an alternative energy system. You seem to have the key parts of the system provided in the kit, so your task is to try to create your hypothesis about this form of energy conversion and use the measured results to support your hypothesis. You also have to opportunity of telling the interesting story about this interesting system and how it might be applied in real life situations. There are many avenues you can explore, perhaps doing some research on fuel cell technology will help. I didn't have access to the information the kit supplier supplied, but there may be some excellent experiments they have outlined.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: How well will I do with this?

Postby ecm3131 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 am

The answer is "not too well" if you plan only to put together the kit and enter it. That would make the entry a demonstation of known facts, and the purpose of a science fair experiment is, well, experimentation. Note the list of science fair ideas on the web link you provided. You must come up with some idea (hypothosis) to improve the device and test it. THAT is an experiement.
Play with this thought: With all the wind going past a windmill, what is with the relatively small blades? I mean, out of the 360 degree circle there is perhaps 5-10 degrees of the circle intercepting wind. Why is that? If you made 4 blades that were 1/4 circle each (or 8 that were 1/8 circle) wouldn't that catch all the wind? If you think so, try it. If it doesn't work, you'll be left to explain why. Avoid making up some lame question that your science fair supposedly answers (e.g., "Can I build a windmill that will generate energy?" Answer: Yes, and here it is!). Not an experiment, and the question is not a hypothesis. As the last post said, you must vary something and measure it to prove or disprove a theory.
ecm3131

Project Question: none
Project Due Date: none

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science