how salt in ice affects how easily it melts at room temp?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

how salt in ice affects how easily it melts at room temp?

Postby Sanndra123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 am

I want someone to please explain to me about the above question thanks
Sanndra123

Project Question: Chemistry
Project Due Date: due 30th february
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: how salt in ice affects how easily it melts at room temp

Postby theborg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Sanndra123,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the forum. Salt causes ice to melt and prevents it from re-freezing by lowering the freezing temperature of water. This is called freezing point depression. As the salt dissolves into the water/ice, each molecule of salt breaks into two parts...a sodium ion and a chloride ion. These particles essentially get in the way of water molecules and prevent them from combining with other water molecules to form the stable crystal structure known as ice. This reaction will continue until no more sodium chloride (salt) can dissolve into the solution at a certain temperature. At this point the salt water solution will freeze, but it will be at a much lower temperature than that required for pure water.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science