Banana Ripening Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Banana Ripening Question

Postby cleocurtis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Hello,

We were wondering why do cold temperatures cause the ripening process to slow down in bananas? :D :D
cleocurtis

Project Question: The effect electrolytes have on blood pressure?
Project Due Date: Approximately 1-2 months.
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Banana Ripening Question

Postby Goldenzenith » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi cleocurtis,

Interesting question! I'm not sure if you're planning to explore this for a project, since I recall that you were working on something else in another thread. However, I'm also curious about how the ripening process slows down, so I did a little research. It turns out that while the banana peels may turn brown or even black, the fruit inside is actually well reserved and firmer at cool temperatures. There's an enzyme in the banana, called polyphenyl oxidase, that better polymerizes phenols into polyphenols (think melanin and pigmentation, but for banana skin that darkens in color) under cooler conditions, i.e. refrigeration. Meanwhile, the banana does not get as squishy as it would at regular temperature since enzymes that decompose starch into sugar don't work as well at lower temperatures. Notice that the role of enzymes is super important in the ripening process!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
Goldenzenith
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science