brycecelano wrote:I read that thread and several others regarding the assembly but there are still several items that are unclear. If the primary(inner) coil is wrapped around the bolt wouldn't it be shorted out and not have the effect of a coil? Why does the project require bare copper wire for the inner coil it seems like insulated wire would make more sense.
Using the bare (uninsulated) 12 AWG copper wire in the material list for the primary is wrong. When it is wound on a metal bolt, it WILL short circuit the coil making for a poor electro magnet and a poor electro magnetic field for a transformer. Type TWHN solid 12 AWG copper wire or similar should be called for.
The relay is shown incorrectly. The normally closed contacts should be oriented away from the bolt head so that when current flows, the primary and bolt act like an electro magnet and open the contact. The normally closed contacts should be wired as shown, it is just the mechanical orientation that is wrong.
The description of the building of the apparatus should indicate that the Neef vibrator should be constructed and tested and be in good working order BEFORE winding the secondary! This should be done to allow working with the circuit without the high voltage danger!
brycecelano wrote:I've read the entire thread that's mentioned as well as the original application (it uses a significantly different coil and vibraor creation method). It was obvious that the normally closed contacts needed to be held "away" from the iron core by the spring so I didn't notice the wording was wrong. I had already taken the insulation off my wire so I used a large plastic straw to insulate my iron core from my primary coil. It's a little complicated making the neef vibrator out of the part from radio shack because the head of the bolt actually needs to be on the inside of the frame that holds the spring and contacts. I was able to drill out the frame and pass the iron core through the hole but if your core was too fat you might need to build a new larger frame out of sheet metal.
Just a note for future readers, the amount of enameled wire in the parts list is far too low in order to get the required number of turns and joining the enameled wire to itself is a little bit cimplicated when you splice in the new spool.
I still would love to see a picture of a completed project and here how someone else mounted the components.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests