Pascal's Triangle

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Pascal's Triangle

Postby vikasagartha » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi:
I need help finding how many numbers are divisible by 3 in the nth row of Pascal's Triangle. I have studied pascal's triangle and looked for patterns but am unable to find a pattern. Could someone please shed some light on my work?

Thanks

Vikas
Vikas Agartha
vikasagartha

Re: Pascal's Triangle

Postby scibudadmin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:48 am

Vikas,

Can you please provide a little more information about the work you are doing? How is this question related to your science fair project? If you do an internet search for Pascal's Triangle you'll be directed to a number of resources that should help you understand the patterns that can be found. Once you understand the patterns and the equations related to Pascal's Triangle you'll likely have a clearer answer to your question.

Please post a follow-up question after your research if you are still having trouble.

Regards,
Melissa G.
Science Buddies Staff
scibudadmin
Site Admin

Postby vikasagartha » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Thank you for responding to my post.

I came across this problem when I was researching Pascal's triangle, I have not yet decided on a project. I have narrowed it down to Pascal's triangle and maybe something relating to Serpinski Triangle. I was doing this problem just as research, for understanding. I have surfed the web a lot already but nothing has come up on dividing any row by 3. I need some help on seeing the pattern.

Vikas
Vikas Agartha
vikasagartha

Postby Ray Trent » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 pm

If you just want to be able to visualize the pattern, there's a wonderful little tool at http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curriculum/ ... ngle.shtml that shows you a pictorial representation of Pascal's Triangle modulo arbitrary numbers (e.g. a modulus of 3 diagram would have white circles where the number is divisible by 3).

There are certainly many obvious patterns (for example, the 3^Nth rows contain numbers that are all multiples of 3, other than the 2 1s on the ends, of course, and the 3^Nth-1 rows all have *no* numbers that are multiples of 3), but I'm not sure there's a simple equation that would define it for all rows. Based on some information in these sources, I suspect that it will tend to be on the order of the logarithm of the row number, but with wild fluctuations.

In the flavor of this forum, certainly the easiest way to find one of these values would be to write a little program that calculates it. There's a formula for calculating all the values of the Nth row of Pascal's Triangle in the wikipedia entry for it (for example), so you can even do it for an arbitrary row if you like, rather than generating all of them. It's possible that if you stare at that formula long enough you might come up with a way to represent this in a closed form.
../ray\..
Ray Trent
Expert

Postby rappyrap09 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 am

is anyone familiar with PASCAL PYRAMID??
rappyrap09

Project Question: math
Project Due Date: december 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby Goldenzenith » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:15 pm

rappy,

I have posted a reply to your thread on Pascal's Triangle. For future references, please put your questions on separate threads in order to keep the forum organized. Thank you!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
Goldenzenith
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science