Science Project Idea Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Science Project Idea Question

Postby mnajmabadi » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello, I was wondering if someone can validate my idea as appropriate for a science competition. My question I am hoping to answer is: Do SAT scores truly reflect a student's academic capabilities?
This idea came about when, as I am beginning to apply for college, I noticed the emphasis college applications place upon standardized testing, like the SAT or ACT. But can student's academic level really be tested by the SAT, whose math section is only algebra 2? Can our vocabulary skill level be judged by the 50 english words they test us on, when there is almost 200,000 words; luck seems to be a large factor here. Additionally colleges aren't factoring in the amount of tutoring the student has bought to raise their score. So two equally smart students may achieve different scores because one sought the help of a SAT prep class. This isn't necessarily fair to the other student whose financial situation does not allow them to purchase such help. I am hoping, if I prove that SAT scores do in fact not accurately represent student's intelligence level, to develop a different way to test student's academic level.

I would appreciate any comments or feedback! Is this even a good project idea? Thanks.
mnajmabadi

Project Question: Doe the SAT truly reflect a student's academic capabilities?
Project Due Date: November 1, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Science Project Idea Question

Postby barretttomlinson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi,

I think your idea has merit. See these:

http://hypertextbook.com/eworld/sat.shtml

http://www.google.com/search?q=do+sat+s ... 00&bih=372

To make any progress you will need a testable hypothesis and probably a good mentor who can help with setting up an experiment. For help on finding a mentor, see:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... tors.shtml

I hope this will help you get started. I wish you every success in this timely interesting topic!

Best regards,

Barrett L Tomlinson
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Science Project Idea Question

Postby mnajmabadi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Thank you!
So to gather data I was hoping to get student's (all from the same school) GPA, highest SAT score, and amount of money spent on tutoring (if any). How do you recommend I go about doing this? An online survey? Or ask in person? I don't want to invade anyone's privacy.
Thanks
mnajmabadi

Project Question: Doe the SAT truly reflect a student's academic capabilities?
Project Due Date: November 1, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science