Any ideas for a programming/computer science project?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Any ideas for a programming/computer science project?

Postby RafalChmiel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

I have searched the internet for some ideas (including Science Buddies) for projects involving programming and computer science. But didn't find any that I would like to do, or just wasn't able to do. I would really like to enter the Google Science Fair 2012 or 2013 with a really good project. I'm really looking forward into writing my first science project. Currently I'm studying .NET programming (and JavaScript in my free time) at Home Learning College and would like to use my computing and programming skills in a science project. I though of http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... g&from=TSW and writing my own timing applet but I can't see that project "changing the world" nor be very interesting compared to other projects which will be submitted. What science fair project ideas would you suggest to me? Thanks.
RafalChmiel

Project Question: Computing, Computer Science, Programming, Technology
Project Due Date: 1 April 2012
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Any ideas for a programming/computer science project?

Postby Muzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm actually starting working on a project in programming and computer science for the Google science fair.. Do you want to collaborate, I'm open to ideas?
Muzz

Project Question: Free choice
Project Due Date: 4th April
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby RafalChmiel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Muzz wrote:I'm actually starting working on a project in programming and computer science for the Google science fair.. Do you want to collaborate, I'm open to ideas?

I guess that would be a good idea but I have two problems. One, I think the time zone and collaboration may be a limit, where are you from? (I'm from the UK) (By collaboration I mean email-ing each other, etc.) And two, I don't have any ideas YET and would not like to participate in anything that involves mechanics or robotics. I would just like to start a project that involves a computer (virtually not physically) only, so stuff such as programming, design, etc. is great. What are your skills? And what is your name? Thanks.

Rafal Chmiel, STOP. SOPA.
RafalChmiel

Postby Muzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm in the UK also, so that works out fine. I've got a pretty neat idea for a project (which is totally virtual), but could I just ask how competent you are at programming first? I'm a programmer mainly.

Alex

Do you have Skype, because that might help with rapid contact?
Muzz

Postby RafalChmiel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Muzz wrote:I'm in the UK also, so that works out fine. I've got a pretty neat idea for a project (which is totally virtual), but could I just ask how competent you are at programming first? I'm a programmer mainly.

Alex

Do you have Skype, because that might help with rapid contact?

That's great! About the programming bit, I'm currently a .NET programming student at Home Learning College (and will take my Microsoft VB ~something~something~ exam later this year). I also do a little bit of C#, JavaScript and a tiny bit of Java. As well as .NET (VB), I'm also studying (by myself, so I can get a better understanding of) Java, C#, JavaScript, Python, PHP, HTML, XHTML (which is the same thing I suppose), CSS and MAYBE later when I grasp these languages move on the scariest part of programming, C++! What about you? What languages do you know/study/interested in? And yes I do have Skype, but I'm going to have to create a new account because my last one expired (I suppose). Also, I made couple of open source project (which all of them I now closed) for social networking sites and re-written couple of API libraries for Twitter and Tumblr. At the moment I'm thinking of a really GOOD name for my new blogging/social networking client project thingy, but I can't think of anything. So, I thought of doing a "in-my-free-time" Google Science Fair project, and maybe win! Again, considering that programming part, I'm not very good at web design but (in my opinion) fine on Photoshop (not Adobe Illustrator). What type of a computer do you have? As in a Windows PC or a Mac? In which age category are you in? I wouldn't like to go with someone much older than me. I'm in the 12-13 category. Are you on Facebook, Twitter, etc. for more contact? I'm going to respond tomorrow as it is very late. Thanks.

Rafal Chmiel, STOP. SOPA.
RafalChmiel

Postby Muzz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am

I had some pretty similar thoughts to you. There isn't a 12-13 age group, it's 13-14. I'm in the 15-16 age group, so that's not ideal.

if you want to add me for a brainstorm or something. I'm a PC person.

[post altered by Science Buddies administer]
Muzz

Postby RafalChmiel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 am

Muzz wrote:I had some pretty similar thoughts to you. There isn't a 12-13 age group, it's 13-14. I'm in the 15-16 age group, so that's not ideal.

Anyway, I'm [skypeDeleted] on Skype, if you want to add me for a brainstorm or something. I'm a PC person.

Yeah, my bad. We could do some brainstorming,
Last edited by RafalChmiel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RafalChmiel

Postby amyc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:34 am

Please note that the rules at Ask an Expert disallow the exchange or posting of any contact information on the forums.

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Return to Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science