Evaporation or Vaporization?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Evaporation or Vaporization?

Postby proscience » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 pm

My daughter had to explain how separating salt from a salt solution is a physical change and not a chemical change. She explained that the salt could be separated by boiling the solution down until the solid salt remained at the bottom of the beaker. Since this process did not result in a new substance, we can conclude that no chemical change occurred.

My question: Is the process of boiling the water off evaporation or vaporization?

Evaporation the the change of state from a liquid to a gas at the surface, usually below the boiling point. However, vaporization is also a change of state from liquid to gas that occurs above the boiling point.

In this case, wouldn't vaporization be the correct term since we are talking about a solution where water is the solvent?
proscience

Project Question: Engineering/Biomimicry
Project Due Date: October 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Evaporation or Vaporization?

Postby edneu3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 am

Interesting question!

Here's the generally accepted definitions and differences: Vaporization is any process that describes the conversion of a liquid to a gas - mechanical spraying, atomizing, boiling, or "evaporation".

Evaporation occurs below the boiling point where particles of the liquid go from the surface to the vapor state.

Hope this helps.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Evaporation or Vaporization?

Postby proscience » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Thank you!