Sun Print Paper experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Sun Print Paper experiment

Postby lewtffny » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Help! My 3rd grader has chosen to do an experiment using sun print paper. The format states that he will test which colors of light work best to form sunpring images. I am struggling with how to simplify his conculsion in 3rd grade terms. How can I better explain why a certain color filter the sunlight while others block it better? Does it have anything to do with the wavelength of that color?
Last edited by lewtffny on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
lewtffny

Project Question: Which color forms the best image on sun print paper
Project Due Date: 10/29/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Sun Print Paper experiment

Postby edneu3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 am

Hi,

I assume your 3rd grader is running this experiment on the Science Buddies Website: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p084.shtml, or one very similar to it.

In the experiment as described on the Science Buddies site, the experimenter is instructed to use colored markers to draw on a clear plastic sheet. If one holds that sheet up to the light, they see the colors. That is because the dye in each marker allows only a small range of light wavelength to pass through. So you are correct in suspecting that wavelength of light is involved.

So by placing this clear sheet on a piece of sun-print paper, each marker stripe allows different wavelength ranges of light to pass through to the paper. The experimenter is then instructed to determine which colors of light, that is which wavelengths of light, result in better images. This allows one to draw the conclusion what colors of light is the sun-print paper most sensitive to.

I hope this helps.

I'm glad you are working with your student on this project. Parent involvement is so important. I hope you HAVE FUN!
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Sun Print Paper experiment

Postby lewtffny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks Ed
lewtffny