Gauss Rifle

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Gauss Rifle

Postby drowe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Please explain where the "second" comes from in the math equation for the Gauss Rifle project. Gauss Rifle for my science project this year. I don't understand the math. The instructions indicate the velocity (m/second) is equal to horizontal distance between the table and the ball in meters times the square root of gravitational acceleration (meters/seconds squared) divided by 2 times the height of the table in meters. Where do you get the seconds from in this equation? Should there be a step that we measure the the time it took to leave the rifle to when it lands??
drowe

Project Question: Gauss Rifle for my science project this year. I don't understand the math. The instructions indicate the velocity (m/second) is equal to horizontal distance between the table and the ball in meters times the square root of gravitational acceleration (meters/seconds squared) divided by 2 times the height of the table in meters. Where do you get the seconds from in this equation? Should there be a step that we measure the the time it took to leave the rifle to when it lands??
Project Due Date: November 30, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Gauss Rifle

Postby rmarz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:37 pm

dwroe - From the moment the ball leaves the edge of the table, it will accelerate to the floor at the rate of gravitational force, or 9.8 meters per second per second. It is accelerating downward! This experiment is calculating the initial velocity of the ball bearing by calculating the horizontal distance it travels as it accelerates to the floor. The 'seconds' you are referring to is just part of the expression in the gravitational force of 9.8 M/seconds-squared. To use the equation simply enter the horizontal measurement you made and forget about 'seconds' at this point. Your result will be velocity in the form of Meters/second.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Gauss Rifle

Postby drowe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Thank you so much!
drowe

Project Question: Gauss Rifle for my science project this year. I don't understand the math. The instructions indicate the velocity (m/second) is equal to horizontal distance between the table and the ball in meters times the square root of gravitational acceleration (meters/seconds squared) divided by 2 times the height of the table in meters. Where do you get the seconds from in this equation? Should there be a step that we measure the the time it took to leave the rifle to when it lands??
Project Due Date: November 30, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science