Baking soda and vinegar

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Baking soda and vinegar

Postby stephanie12 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 pm

My daughter (3rd grade) is doing a science fair project and we are stuck one one question. I'm not sure what exactly they are asking. The question states how can you use in real life what you have learned from the experiment. Our experiment is vinegar and baking soda in a bottle to inflate a balloon. Do they mean examples of what it can be used for such as cleaning products etc. or am I totally off track? Thank you for any help
stephanie12

Project Question: Im using baking soda and vinegar in a bottle to inflate a balloon for my project. I have done all the research but Im stuck on the question how can you use what you learned from you project in real life? Do they mean uses for the too, example cleaning products? Im lost Thank you for any help
Project Due Date: nov 13,2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Baking soda and vinegar

Postby kgudger » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

I would think that the question is about how can you use what you observed in the experiment in the real world. In this case your daughter used a chemical reaction (acid + base) to create a gas (CO2) to inflate a balloon. You might search for applications of mixing acids and bases. Another area to search would be chemical reactions to inflate something. For the first one, there are things like baking (acid + base = rising flour) to even neutralizing either an acid or base with the other. For the inflation part, consider air bags in cars and so on. Happy searching!

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science