Blowing bottletops: making music with bottles

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Blowing bottletops: making music with bottles

Postby rachelet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 am

What kind of data chart can be used when experimenting with making music in glass bottletops? We are trying to determine how the frequency of a note produced is related to the length of a column.
rachelet

Project Question: Blowing bottletops:kaing music with glass bottles. My daughter will learn how the pitch of a note depends on the length of a column. I have a question about how what kind of data she should collect.
Project Due Date: January 30, 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blowing bottletops: making music with bottles

Postby theborg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:37 pm

rachelet,

Welcome to Science Buddies and thank you for the question. If you have a way to accurately measure the frequency of the note then I would suggest plotting the data on a graph with the length of the bottle neck along the x-axis vs. frequency along the y-axis to show the relationship between the two.

To ensure you are only changing bottle neck size (independent variable) and measuring frequency (dependent variable), I suggest you make sure you are using bottles with the same parameters (i.e. diameter mouth and column, glass thickness, etc…) and ensure the air flow across the bottle to make the note is at the same pressure/velocity and angle to the bottle. Because of variations involved in a human blowing air through their lips, it would be ideal if you could construct an air blowing machine that could do it the same way each time. If you aren’t able to do this, then make sure you identify this in the experiment procedures part of the report.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science