science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

science project

Postby nimichichi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello:
My daughter is doing a project about Motorizing a Robot Hand,is her first time working in it , I bought 5 servo motors for each finger , but I need to know if I need to buy 5 more servo motors for the movable joint or no?? Thank you :)
nimichichi

Project Question: Hello, My daughter is doing a project about motorizing a robot hand, I bought 5 servo motors for each finger, but my question is I need to buy 5 more servo motors for the movable joint or no??
Project Due Date: February 4,2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: science project

Postby vysarge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 am

Hello nimichichi!

I looked over the project design, and it's probably best to use just the 5 servo motors. Each of the five will control the movement of one finger- it will manage all of the movable joints on that finger. So, in the same way, if you wanted a robot hand with six fingers, you would need six motors; if you want five fingers, you need five motors.

Good luck, and hope this helped!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby nimichichi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you for your help :) -Vysarge
nimichichi

Project Question: Hello, My daughter is doing a project about motorizing a robot hand, I bought 5 servo motors for each finger, but my question is I need to buy 5 more servo motors for the movable joint or no??

Postby vysarge » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 am

You're welcome! If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Postby nimichichi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 am

Thank you, I have another question, is necessary to buy jumper wires to connect the servo motors to the microprocessor board or I have to connect it directly to the microprocessor board?? :)
nimichichi

Postby vysarge » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 am

I think you attach it directly; each of the servos should have three wires coming directly out, colored red, black, and white/similar light color. Each of those needs to connect to certain ports- the red wire is positive, the black wire is negative, etc, if I'm remembering correctly. [[This site]] provides a pretty detailed description of how it works, and I'm sure you can find other tutorials online if that one doesn't work- try searching "connecting servos to a microprocessor" or "controlling servos from a microprocessor."

Hope this helped! :)
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Richard Feynman
vysarge
Expert

Postby nimichichi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you very much, it is useful to me and my daughter. :)
nimichichi

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science