Diet Coke and Mentos - # of dimples experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Diet Coke and Mentos - # of dimples experiment

Postby helping sister » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm helping my little brother with his fifth grade science project, and we've already conducted the experiment. Our experiment showed that the more dimples in the Mentos, the shorter the geyser...But we can't understand why, because our hypothesis was opposite, we thought that adding dimples would increase the height of the geyser because we had created larger dimples for the carbon dioxide gas to fill and escape from. Can someone please explain to me why adding the dimples decreased the height of the geyser? :!:
helping sister

Occupation: College Student, helping little brother with his 5th grade science project
Project Question: Mentos and Coke
Project Due Date: January 28th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Diet Coke and Mentos - # of dimples experiment

Postby asten77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

The key to what makes the reaction work so well is believed to be the increased surface area caused by the rough, nearly microscopic holes.

You didn't specify how you added dimples, or how large they were, but it might be that you actually reduced the surface area by adding dimples (therefore crushing some of the very small holes). Keep in mind much of the surface area you're working with is something you can't see with the naked eye.
asten77
Expert

Project Question: Expert - Here to help with Physical Sciences!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science