UV light

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

UV light

Postby cooper barrett » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

If I buy a "full spectrum" light bulb, does it contain the UV rays necessary to conduct a sunscreen experiment? Or do I need a special UV bulb?
cooper barrett

Project Question: Is larger spf really more effective? To do experiment, I need to know if a full spectrum light bulb also gives out UV rays?
Project Due Date: Feb. 01
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: UV light

Postby staryl13 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi!
It is extremely hard to simulate the intensity of the UV radiation produced by the sun. If you read this article, you will find that full spectrum light bulbs do NOT produce nearly as much UV rays as does the sun. In fact, many are now manufactured to block these harmful UV rays.
http://www.alaskanorthernlights.com/compare.php
Thus, you will probably have to spend some time out in the sun for your experiment. Hope this helps, best of luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
staryl13
Former Expert

Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: UV light

Postby jmehta14 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:40 am

For your project you will need a special UV light bulb. You will also need to wear protective goggles and clothing while doing this experiment so that you protect your ownself from the harmful effects of the UV rays. UV bulb is available from Lowes, Home DEPOT, or lighting stores. Some dermatologist use this UV bulb in their clinics for treating acne and is called the blue light. I hope this helps.
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science