Egg Drop

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Egg Drop

Postby eye0sylver » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

My 4 grader is doing the egg drop project and we understand the variables and what the x and y axis' are but need help with how to chart or graph the project... can anyone help?

y = did the egg crack
x = with cheeros around it, suspended with rubberbands, and with straws around it
eye0sylver

Project Question: How to prevent an egg from cracking when dropped from the second floor?
Project Due Date: April 7,2009
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Egg Drop

Postby edneu3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,

I wasn't able to find any project defined on the ScienceBuddies web site about egg drops, but I did find this link to an interesting discussion about an egg drop experiment. Perhaps the experiment your 4th grader is doing is similar:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 95&start=0

If you can tell us more about the experiment, of give us a web link to the instructions, we could help you more.

From the little bit on information you provided in your note, I can suggest the following. In scientific experiments it is important to always run the experiments multiple times. So, let's say you run the experiment 5 times with the Cherrios, 5 with the rubberbands and 5 times with the straws. Count how many times the egg breaks in each case. You could then make what is called a bar chart. The vertical axis, the "Y" axis, would show the number of broken eggs for each case. Each case would be a vertical bar, spread along the horizontal axis, the "X" axis, the height of the bar representing the number of eggs broken. This works if you run the same number of trials for each case. If you must run a different number of trials for each case, then you will need to plot not the number of broken eggs, but the percent of eggs tested in that case that broke.

I hope this helps.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Egg Drop

Postby eye0sylver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm

This help a bunch. thanks
eye0sylver

Project Question: How to prevent an egg from cracking when dropped from the second floor?
Project Due Date: April 7,2009
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science