**Magnet Strength** - Need Help with Procedures

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

**Magnet Strength** - Need Help with Procedures

Postby dlkfulford » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm

My 4th grade daughter chose this topic from her STEM Fair Journal Suggestion List:
"How is the Strength of a Magnet Affected by Glass, Cardboard, and Plastic?"

However, we are having a hard time finding material lists and procedures for this project. We've been to the library and have searched the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions of resources where we can find procedures for conducting this type of research. We want to make sure we're performing an appropriate experiment.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
dlkfulford

Project Question: How is the Strength of a Magnet Affected by Glass, Cardboard, and Plastic?
Project Due Date: 02/21/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: **Magnet Strength** - Need Help with Procedures

Postby kgudger » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!

From your description, it would appear that your daughter wants to test various magnetic insulators. I did not find a Science Buddies experiment about insulators, but there is one about magnets versus temperature: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Phys_p025.shtml. I found another site that discusses magnetic insulators, but I don't know anything about the quality of the site (and they're trying to sell you an e-book.) http://www.experiland.com/html_projects/EM/11011801_EM_Test%20and%20compare%20electrical%20insulators%20opposed%20to%20magnetic%20insulators.htm

When testing magnetic "strength", there are many pitfalls in the procedure. As a science fair judge, I often find that students fail to appreciate many of the things that can go wrong. This makes their data have little meaning in most magnet experiments. Once you've defined your question and hypothesis, please check back in and we'll try and help you avoid some of the usual problems.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science