veggie powered battery

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

veggie powered battery

Postby mmiller » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

We have tried troubleshooting and we are still unsuccessful generating any power from lemon or potato.
We think we have everything hooked up correctly. We bought juicier lemons, soaked potato in water, etc..
Please help.
mmiller

Project Question: Cannot get veggie battery to work. Nothing shows up on voltmeter. Think we have everything set up correctly. Nail and copper inserted 1" apart, but not touching. Have alligator clips attached to nail or copper and then connected to voltmeter. Nothing happens when we turn on multimter. Attempted to hook alligator clips to copper wire that is attached to lightbulb. All three attempts to generate electrical current through potatoe or lemon were unsuccessful.
Project Due Date: Feb 3, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: veggie powered battery

Postby rmarz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:56 pm

mmiller - Verify that your multimeter is functioning. Check the DC voltage ranges with a battery. Are your electrodes of the proper material? This is very important. The setup is fairly simple, so if the meter works and the electrodes are of the proper types of metal you should easily get a reading.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby rmarz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:00 pm

mmiller - Another possibility is that your load, the light bulb in this case, may be putting such a large demand on your cell that you aren't reading any voltage. It might be acting as a short circuit. Try to do the voltage measurement without a load, or as an open circuit. Just measure voltage across the electrodes. Check the specifications on your light bulb to see if it is appropriate for this kind of 'veggie battery'.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby mmiller » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Thank you!! As an adult, I still find science daunting. I never thought to question the equipment, I only doubted myself. I quickly determined that the multimeter was not working, fixed it, and as you said - very simple experiment. Recorded higher voltage with potatoe than lemon, which surprised my son.
Thank you again for your speedy reply to my distress call.
Thank you!
mmiller

Project Question: Cannot get veggie battery to work. Nothing shows up on voltmeter. Think we have everything set up correctly. Nail and copper inserted 1" apart, but not touching. Have alligator clips attached to nail or copper and then connected to voltmeter. Nothing happens when we turn on multimter. Attempted to hook alligator clips to copper wire that is attached to lightbulb. All three attempts to generate electrical current through potatoe or lemon were unsuccessful.
Project Due Date: Feb 3, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science