Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
We are doing a seeded vs. non-seeded string crystal making project for the science fair, using borax, salt and sugar, similar to the experiment on this site.
So far results are mixed. Borax grows wildly, quickly and the seeded strings may be more uniform but the unseeded yield slightly larger amounts of crystal. The jar bottoms are coated with borax crystals with both seeded and unseeded strings in the borax solution. With salt, the seeded strings yield nothing and the unseeded strings are growing crystals. This has happened with 2 trials. With sugar, the crystals grow more uniformly on the seeded strings and also seem more dense. But the non seeded catch up and may even surpass the seeded strings. We are on days 1 and 2 of 2 trials. It seems that with seeded strings some of the seeding falls to the bottom of the jar and causes growth "off the string" and in the jar, which can account for why the non-seeded grow as large or larger "on the string". Any thoughts about this? We are using a food-safe cotton meat-tying string. It has texture and small crystals find the little cotton "hairs" and adhere to it well. Is it possible that seeding the string with salt in particular makes the surface of the string smooth and crystals won't adhere to it? Thoughts? Nicole and her mom.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 pm
- Occupation: student 5th grade
- Project Question: How does seeding a string with salt, sugar, or borax vs. not seeding the string affect crystal growth?
- Project Due Date: April 23, 2012
- Project Status: I am conducting my experiment
I suggest you do a third trial to get to a definite conclusion for this experiment. You still have some time to finish it before your due date.
- Former Expert
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 am
- Occupation: Student 10th Grade
- Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
- Project Due Date: March 1st
- Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data
just keep trying
have u tried to use different environments ?
e.g , hot , next to oven , cold , in fridge ?
hope it helps
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:33 am
- Occupation: Student : 9th grade
- Project Question: i am doing a project on if plants prefer salt , tap , sugar or mineral water best and want to know , what plant need i use ?
- Project Due Date: due in 2 weeks of this question
- Project Status: I am conducting my research
Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest