riding on air-build a real hovercraft

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

riding on air-build a real hovercraft

Postby kareemadam83 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 am

In the experiment called "riding on air-build a real hovercraft" why is it better to use a thick material for the skirt rather than using a thin one like a garbage bag?,also to put it in another why what is the science behind using a thick material for the skirt than using a thin material for the skirt?
kareemadam83

Project Question: In the experiment called "riding on air-build a real hovercraft" why is it better to use a thick material for the skirt rather than using a thin one like a garbage bag?
Project Due Date: 4/20/12
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: riding on air-build a real hovercraft

Postby audreyln » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am

I can't think of any reason a thicker material is better than a thinner one other than that it would be more durable.

I you are watching the video on the project idea page (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p036.shtml) don't be confused by the material on the two hovercrafts they made. They were varying the size of the skirt and just happened to choose to use a thicker material on the second hovercraft because their two layer idea did not work out.
audreyln
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby jmehta14 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Dear Kareena,
I was looking at the science buddies for this experiment and I feel that by using the thicker material you will keep the air pressure higher for a longer amount of time as long as the skirt is not too tight and that will make the aircraft go higher than if you used a thinner material. Good luck with your fun experiment!

Take car'
jay
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Postby novicegenius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:28 pm

dear kareena,
just 2 weeks ago i built a hovercraft of my own, i used a garbage bag and it didn't work because the garbage bag stretched.
for a thicker material i would recommend either a used shower curtain or a tarp. Another idea would be either a motorcycle inner tube or a car tire inner tube.

have fun
novicegenius

Project Question: Don't have one yet
Project Due Date: sometime in 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science