growing sugar crystals

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

growing sugar crystals

Postby maureen70 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:11 pm

My daughter is doing a science project in which she is attempting to grow sugar crystals with white sugar, brown sugar and powdered sugar. For the first experiment we followed directions found online. The white sugar did not grow crystals on the string (we prepped the string according to directions we found online) only a few on top. The powdered sugar turned into a big lump in the jar and grew no crystals. The brown sugar also did not grow crystals. We plan on beginning a second attempt. Any advice on how we could be more successful?
maureen70

Project Question: Which kind of sugar will grow the largest crystals (white, brown, powdered)?
Project Due Date: May 9, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: growing sugar crystals

Postby jmehta14 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Dear Maureen,
I think that you need to add more sugar to the solution to make it more saturated and also make sure that the glass jars are not put near a vent or stove and arein a dry place at a constant temperature. If it is very warm the sugar may not have a chance to form any crystals and os I think by adding more sugar to the solution so it is super saturated will help you. You could also try using the regular granulated sugar for your experiment. you may also want to give more time for the crystals to form.
Take care'
jay
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science