Research and references help?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Research and references help?

Postby Baozi_ » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 pm

So, I have a science fair project and I have to turn in the "research, references with bibliography"
I'm not really sure about the topic yet, but what does it mean by research and references?
is it the research paper?
Thanks~ :)
Baozi_

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Research and references help?

Postby dcnick96 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies!

I'm sure your teacher means they want to see progress on your background research. Background research is a crucial step in the scientific method process. This allows you to better understand what you are about to test. Better understanding helps you design the best experiment possible. It should help you from hopefully repeating mistakes already made by others, consider all the variables that could affect the outcome of your test, and understand why what you are testing is important. There are many other reasons research is important...I just listed a few.

The research paper is the final product. Check with your teacher to see whether he/she expects a final product or just a draft of your research paper to see your current progress. As you're doing your research, be sure to log all of your sources: websites, papers, books, journals, magazines, interviews, etc. This consolidated list will be your references with bibliography. Be sure to include Science Buddies as a reference!

More information on conducting background research:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_background_research_plan.shtml

Help with generating your bibliography. It's free!
http://www.easybib.com/

Good luck. Be sure to write back if you have any more questions.
Deana
dcnick96

Return to Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair