Evaporation of Chlorinated versus Non Chlorinated water

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Evaporation of Chlorinated versus Non Chlorinated water

Postby lovetosurf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

All things being equal and the amount of water is equal, which would evaporate more? Non chlorinated water or chlorinated?
lovetosurf

Project Question: All other environmental factors being the same, would chlorinated or non chlorinated water evaporate faster? Are results are showing the non chlorinated evaporated faster but I do not think that is correct.
Project Due Date: 01/06/2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Evaporation of Chlorinated versus Non Chlorinated water

Postby Terik Daly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:55 am

Hi lovetosurf,

Based on the "Project Question" you have associated with your user profile, it sounds like you got some unexpected results from your experiment. Correct me if I'm wrong - but, you hypothesized that chlorinated water would evaporate faster, but your data showed that non-chlorinated water evaporated faster. Is that correct?

How were you measuring evaporation? And, where did you get the chlorinated water (e.g., from a swimming pool)? Chlorine can evaporate from water, but depending on how you measure evaporation you might not be able to account for that. And, if there are other chemical (e.g., swimming pool water), that might play a role in your results. Post back with those details, and I'll be able to help you a bit more.

Good for you for thinking critically about your results!
All the best,
Terik
Terik Daly
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair