Compostable or traditional diapers

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Compostable or traditional diapers

Postby klinthicum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm

My daughter chose a topic about compostable vs. traditional diapers. I am assuming traditional are cloth diapers. Can anyone tell me what compostable diapers are, and the difference between compostable vs. traditional? Thanks!
klinthicum

Project Question: Diapers
Project Due Date: January 5th, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Compostable or traditional diapers

Postby rsprasad » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Hello there,
I did some research on Google and I found out that compostable diapers are diapers that are made out of biodegradable materials and are usually plastic free. So, you can either flush down the toilet or just compost them like one does with food scrapings without any harm to the environment because everything eventually gets reabsorbed into the ground, into the earth.
Here is one website that explains compostable diapers in further detail: http://www.gdiapers.com/gdiapers101/flu ... st-or-toss

On the other hand, traditional diapers are the diapers that people normally tend to use and yes, you are right, they are the cloth diapers. These have to be thrown away after every single use and fill up our landfills and are not biodegradable.
Here is another website that compares the two diapers: http://inventorspot.com/articles/pooped ... ssic_18333

Hope this helps!
Post if you have any more questions!
-Prasad
rsprasad
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby nithintumma » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello!

In addition to the great links above, you might want to look at this website: http://www.suite101.com/content/environmentally-friendly-diapers-a79235

It provides a list of some brands of biodegradable diapers, which be useful when you think about materials to use for your project.

There seems to be three types of diapers that are currently in use: cloth diapers, disposable (but not biodegradable) diapers, and compostable diapers. Cloth diapers are reusable while disposable and compostable are not. However, like the previous expert mentioned, compostable diapers can be flushed or composted so they are considered an enviormentally friendly alternative to disposable diapers.

I think that you should consider looking into testing all three types of diapers. Cloth diapers are reusable while disposable and compostable are not. However, like the previous expert mentioned, compostable diapers can be flushed or composted so they are considered an environmentally friendly alternative to disposable diapers.

Good luck with your project!

Nithin T
nithintumma
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a

Postby ilias2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 am

Jessica Alba Diapers are good for the soft skin of the babies as they gave good results in protecting babies skin.
ilias2

Project Question: I want to participate in interesting topics.

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences