Molecular Biology

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Molecular Biology

Postby diamond_star » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello! Next year in high school, I am planning on taking Molecular Biology because the subject interests me and I would like to get an internship relating to that field. Are there any textbooks (paperback/ hardcover) available for this topic? I am having a hard time finding the appropriate book to help introduce/prep me for this (potentially challenging) class.

Thank you!
diamond_star

Project Question: Design an experiment relating to organic food
Project Due Date: Need to finish research for experiment by 11/7.
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Molecular Biology

Postby sk1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Yes, there are a ton. The most popular one used in college is titled Molecular Biology of the Cell. The new edition is pretty pricey, but there are lot of old editions that people are trying to sell for very cheap.

Hope that helps!
sk1
Former Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby grace7177 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi,

In addition to the Molecular Biology of the Cell( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21054/), you can also try to look for Biology 8th Edition by Campbell Reece. Most AP biology courses are based on this textbook.

Just in case here is a site for most of the biology terms you will encounter:
Molecular Biology Glossary
http://seqcore.brcf.med.umich.edu/doc/e ... gloss.html

If you have anymore questions, please ask!

-Grace
grace7177
Expert

Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Postby diamond_star » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:06 pm

For "Biology 8th Edition by Campbell Reece," how much information do they have relating to molecular biology topics?

Thanks!
diamond_star

Project Question: Design an experiment relating to organic food
Project Due Date: Need to finish research for experiment by 11/7.
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby grace7177 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi again!

Well, the basic topics of the textbook include: Introduction:Themes in the Study of Life, The Chemical Context of Life, Water and the Fitness of the Environment,Carbon and the Molecular Diversity of Life, The Structure and Function of Large Biological Molecules, A Tour of the Cell, Membrane Structure and Function, An Introduction to Metabolism, Cellular Respiration: Harvesting Chemical Energy, Photosynthesis, Cell Communication, The Cell Cycle, Meiosis and Sexual Life Cycles, Mendel and the Gene Idea, The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance, The Molecular Basis of Inheritance, From Gene to Protein, Control of Gene Expression, Viruses, Biotechnology, Genomes and Their Evolution, Descent with Modification: A Darwinian View of Life, The Evolution of Populations, The Origin of Species, The History of Life on Earth, Phylogeny and the Tree of Life, Bacteria and Archaea, Protists, Plant Diversity I: How Plants Colonized Land, Plant Diversity II: The Evolution of Seed Plants, Fungi, An Introduction to Animal Diversity, Invertebrates, Vertebrates, Plant Structure, Growth, and Development, Transport in Vascular Plants, Soil and Plant Nutrition, Angiosperm Reproduction and Biotechnology, Plant Responses to Internal and External Signals, Basic Principles of Animal Form and Function, Animal Nutrition, Circulation and Gas Exchange, The Immune System, Osmoregulation and Excretion, Hormones and the Endocrine System, Animal Reproduction, Animal Development, Neurons, Synapses, and Signaling, Nervous Systems, Sensory and Motor Mechanisms, Animal Behavior, An Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere, Population Ecology, Community Ecology, Ecosystems, Conservation Biology and Restoration Ecology.

Out of these topics, I would say that molecular biology is included mostly in chapters 14-21: Mendel and the Gene Idea, The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance, The Molecular Basis of Inheritance, From Gene to Protein, Control of Gene Expression, Viruses, Biotechnology, Genomes and Their Evolution(chapter sequence might differ for the 8th edition) . In my opinion, this book will introduce you from the basics of biology to the specifics, including a major focus on molecular biology.

I hope this helps you find the right book! :D

-Grace
grace7177
Expert

Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences