Multitasking

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Multitasking

Postby MBerkovski1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:51 am

What part of the brain is used to multitask?
MBerkovski1

Project Question: Can you multitask better with no distactions or with music and talking interfering?
Project Due Date: Already done
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Multitasking

Postby phonghuynh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:48 pm

phonghuynh
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Multitasking

Postby Megara7 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:33 pm

The thing is, your brain can't multitask. Look at this link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-prime/201103/technology-myth-multitasking

The only way your brain can multitask is :
1. If one of the tasks you have learned to do so well that it is automatic
2. the tasks involve different parts of the brain (reading while listening to classical music because they use 2 different parts (music with lyrics would be using the language centers along with reading, and that's why you can't do both at the same time)).

What most people think multitasking is is actually serial tasking, or switching between 2 activities in rapid succession. This actually makes your efficiency go down, making it take longer to do 2 things at once than doing both of them separately.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I’ve never met anybody who wasn’t important before.”
— The Eleventh Doctor
Megara7
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences