Science Board Set Up

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Science Board Set Up

Postby Lashay90 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I Need to Know what is a good hypothesis for dehydrated potatoe
Lashay90

Project Question: My project is on the dehydrated potatoe and I need help coming up with research and a hypothesis. Can you help ?
Project Due Date: December 6, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Science Board Set Up

Postby AstroPie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:27 pm

See the thing about a Hypothesis is that it is what "YOU" think will occur, by asking someone else what they think is a good hypothesis is not your hypothesis.
If you have done enough research you should be able to make an educated guess on your own, and it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong.

In other words this should be done on your own not by others.
AstroPie

Project Question: I would like to base my project on AstroPhysics, I have thought about looking at Cosmology/Cosmic Inflation, but I really have no idea where to go with it, especially since I live where there aren't any labratories, can you help come up with ideas?
Project Due Date: My Regional Science Fair will be sometime in March, but I am planning on attending National Science Fair for a second year which is in May; I have lots of time but lots to do.

Postby MelissaB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 am

Lashay90,

Can you give us more information about what you are trying to do? What about potatoes interests you? Are you trying to dehydrate them, or do you want to work with dehydrated potatoes, or...? If you can give us some more information, we can help.
MelissaB

Postby amyc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Lashay90 - As MelissaB said, if you can provide additional information about your project, our Experts may be able to offer some guidance. Thinking through your hypothesis is an important step in the project. You can learn more about the hypothesis statement (and review some examples) in this Science Buddies resource:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

and this one:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/2010 ... thesis.php

While our Experts will not provide the information for you, if you have questions about the hypothesis you are constructing, or need additional clarification, please post here for input.

Good luck with your science project!

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Lashay90 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I Need to dehydrate a potatoe. I Need to use salted water & plain water, but the observations say What will happen if you used a different vegetable? What if you used something other than salt such as vinegar? What will happen to the potatoe bathing in plain water? What will happen to the potatoe bathing in salted water?
Lashay90

Project Question: My project is on the dehydrated potatoe and I need help coming up with research and a hypothesis. Can you help ?

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Lashay90,

It sounds like you are trying to do this experiment: http://www.sciencefairadventure.com/Pro ... jectID=230

As both MelissaB and Amy have said, the idea is for you to do some background research and make some predictions on your own. Why is it that you are interested in dehydrating potatoes? Do you think the water content of different vegetables will affect the process?

If you are interested in the process of dehydration but need some extra help getting started with your background research, check out these Science Buddies projects that relate to the concept of dehydration and water movement:
Is the Soup Ready? Measure How Much Water is Absorbed by Dried Beans http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p059.shtml
Minding your Mummies: The Science of Mummification http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p022.shtml
You Want Fries with That? The Science of Crispy Potatoes http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p042.shtml
Dried Foods: The Science Behind Making Lightweight Snacks http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p015.shtml

I hope this helps. Try doing some reading, and post back again (in this same thread) if you have some specific questions along the way.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?

Postby Lashay90 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I need help finding out my constants and variables.
Lashay90

Postby heatherL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Lashay90,

If you need help identifying your variables, Science Buddies has a great article to help you: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... bles.shtml.

In general, the independent variable is the variable you (the scientist) change. If you follow the procedure in the experiment I think you are trying to do (http://www.sciencefairadventure.com/Pro ... jectID=230), then the independent variable is the type of water. The dependent variable is the thing you measure, which should change in response to the independent variable. Your constants are the things that you keep the same for all of your treatments.

I hope this helps. It will help the Experts reading your posts if you would give us more details about the project you are trying to do and why.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Lashay90 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks.
Is this a good hypothesis: If I put a potatoe in salted water then it will dehydrate.
Lashay90

Postby heatherL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Lashay90,

Yes, your hypothesis will work for your experiment. You have it in the standard "if...then" format, and you have made a specific prediction.

Now make sure that you have done the background research so you understand why you might expect a potato to become dehydrated in salt water. Try researching terms such as osmosis, concentration, and tonicity. Your teacher is probably most concerned with you understanding the science behind your experiment.

Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions as your project progresses.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Lashay90 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I looked up osmosis and this is what I came up with : The salt water went from a high concentration to a low concentration because it dehydrated the potato.
Would this be a good background research ?
Lashay90

Postby Lashay90 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:25 pm

My Birthday Was Yesterday !
Lashay90

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Lashay90,

Happy birthday! :D

Lashay90 wrote:I looked up osmosis and this is what I came up with : The salt water went from a high concentration to a low concentration because it dehydrated the potato.
Would this be a good background research ?

I'm not sure that you fully understand the concept of osmosis. Here is the Wikipedia article about osmosis to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis. Once you've read this, think about whether the potato is hypertonic or hypotonic to each of your solutions (plain water and salt water). What is moving - the salt or the water? What causes the potato to become dehydrated?

Here is an animation about how osmosis works: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0 ... works.html

Take a look at these things, and please post again if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Lashay90 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I did the actual project and the salted potato shrunk but you could'nt tell if it dehydrated and the plain potato stayed the same.
Lashay90

Postby heatherL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Lashay90,

Looks like you've gotten some results!

Why do you think the salted potato shrunk? What left the potato to make it smaller?

Think about what substance makes up most of the weight of a normal potato.

Did you try weighing the potatoes before and after the experiment?

Heather
heatherL

Next

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences