I'm struggling with making a chart or graph

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

I'm struggling with making a chart or graph

Postby diannawilson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 am

My daughter and I are struggling with having to make a chart or graph for this floating an egg in salt water and although i have attempted to understand how to make these i am at a loss when applying them to this research.
diannawilson

Project Question: floating an egg in salt water
Project Due Date: Dec 5th 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: I'm struggling with making a chart or graph

Postby klhjbh62604 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello diannawilson:

Great question. It looks as if you are doing the following experiment: "How Salty Does the Sea Have to Be for an Egg to Float?" In step 10 it looks like they would like you to plot the densities of the 5 different eggs. Please review the following link:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ysis.shtml

I would suggest plotting the eggs on the x-axis and the densities on the y-axis.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
klhjbh62604
klhjbh62604

Project Question: Ask the Expert Volunteer.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I'm struggling with making a chart or graph

Postby Megara7 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:27 pm

As klhjbh62604 has already given you a great start, I just wanted to add another thing about graphing anything in general. X is also called the independent variable, so the x-axis must contain the part of the data that was changed in the experiment. This is the variable that you are controlling, that you are changing. The y variable is dependent on the x. Therefore the dependent variable is graphed on the vertical, y axis. The dependent variable (y) is always the variable that you will be measuring. I hope this helps!

Meg
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I’ve never met anybody who wasn’t important before.”
— The Eleventh Doctor
Megara7
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences