Magnets

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Magnets

Postby scigeek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:23 pm

If you had a magnet that had a pole that was both north and south at the same time would it pull on everything or push everthing away? Second are posatively charged particles negatively polarized? same for the reverse? please help
scigeek

Project Question: magnetizm
Project Due Date: never
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Magnets

Postby John Dreher » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:43 am

scigeek wrote:If you had a magnet that had a pole that was both north and south at the same time would it pull on everything or push everthing away? Second are posatively charged particles negatively polarized? same for the reverse? please help

Welcome to the Forum. As I interpret your question, you are asking if a magnetic generating device can be simultaneously N and S, for example a single loop of wire carrying a DC current. If that is what you mean, the answer is the two fields would cancel each other. I am imagining two current loops, with the conductors displaced from each other by a negligible amount, one carrying current clockwise while the other carries the same current counterclockwise. Except for small regions very close to the wires, the overall magnetic field would approach zero as the wire spacing approaches zero.

I do not understand what you mean by a charged particle that is polarized. If you can clarify this part of your question I may be able to help.
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science