I don't understand the equations needed for my project!HELP!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

I don't understand the equations needed for my project!HELP!

Postby sn101 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 am

I'm doing the experiment "Chemistry of ice-cream making: Lowering the freezing point of Water." I have to do all these math equations to find out the freezing point depression and all this stuff but I've never learned how to do it. I'm so confused and I have to use my data and put it in the equations ΔT = Kf m i and Tn = Tf - ΔT and I don’t know what that means and I need help so badly please help!!!!! My whole report and everything is due on January 4th, 2013!! Help please!!! And it’s talking about molality and the explanations for this don’t make sense to me please help ASAP ! In the description it said this was for 9+ graders I'm in 8th.
sn101

Project Question: Lowering the freezing point of Water.
Project Due Date: January 4, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: I don't understand the equations needed for my project!H

Postby wendellwiggins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 am

Hello sn101,

As you say, the project was recommended for 9+ grades, so it's no wonder that you have to do some extra learning. The equations are simple algebra. I'll provide some help, but if you still don't understand, you will need to find someone who understands algebra to explain further.

ΔT = Kf m i

This equation says that the freezing-point depression can be calculated by multiplying the molal feezing-point-depression constant times the molality of the solution times the van't Hoff factor of the solute. That's a long sentence, so the equation is written using symbols. Instead of " molal feezing-point-depression constant" the equation uses the symbol "Kf." Please read, study, and think about Equation 2 in the Background section of the Project Description. Each number you need to know has its symbol. If you collect those numbers for your experiment and multiply them, you get your answer, ΔT.

Follow the same substitution of numbers for symbols in Equation 3, and you have answered your question about the equations.

Molality is defined by Equation 1. It says simply that molality is the amount of solute dissolved in an amount of liquid. What is the solute and solvent in this experiment? How much of each did you use?

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Threepointhoopster25 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am

I am working on the same project as sn101, and I understand most things, but molality. Could you give me an example of a sucrose solution's molality. If I can understand molality, it will help me clarify the rest of my projects. HELP please!!!
Threepointhoopster25

Project Question: I need help understanding molality.
Project Due Date: January 2, 2012

Postby Threepointhoopster25 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Hello,
I figured out molality! It was just simply dividing the solute (salt or sugar) by the solvent (the water), then dividing that answer by the molecular weight!!!

Yours truly,

Threepointhoopster25
Threepointhoopster25

Project Question: I need help understanding molality.
Project Due Date: January 2, 2012

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science