Blowing bottletops: making music with s bottles

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Blowing bottletops: making music with s bottles

Postby rachelet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 am

What kind of data chart can be used when experimenting with making music in glass bottletops? We are trying to determine how the frequency of a note produced is related to the length of a column.
rachelet

Project Question: Blowing bottletops:kaing music with glass bottles. My daughter will learn how the pitch of a note depends on the length of a column. I have a question about how what kind of data she should collect.
Project Due Date: January 30, 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blowing bottletops: making music with s bottles

Postby theborg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

rachelet,

Welcome to Science Buddies and thank you for the question. If you have a way to accurately measure the frequency of the note then I would suggest plotting the data on a graph with the length of the bottle neck along the x-axis vs. frequency along the y-axis to show the relationship between the two.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science