Solar Powered Cars

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Solar Powered Cars

Postby roemike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

HI
My son is doing a Science Project on Solar Powered Car. He is a sixth grade student. The project has to connect how this "invention" will make someone's job easier. Would you be able to help in answering this question.

Thank you,
Roseanne Loffredo
roemike

Project Question: How would a solar powered car help a Solar Engineer to make his job easier?
Project Due Date: Feb. 2, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Solar Powered Cars

Postby rmarz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Roseanne - The concept of producing a solar powered car as a project and trying to answer the question "how will the invention make someone's job easier" are a bit disconnected. I can appreciate this stock question about an innovation or invention being used in a science project, but it is not directly related to a solar car. There are many aspects of how solar (or any alternative energy source) benefits transportation that could be summarized as benefits of solar powered cars. I would hhave yr son clarify with the teacher that this question has to answered as asked, in light of the project he is doing. Not all inventions or innovations directly link to improvements in productivity or lessening the workloads of people. A new vaccine may cure a disease, but doesn't make someones job easier like an electric saw or back-hoe. Sorry for not having the perfect answer, but the specific question is a bit of the problem.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Solar Powered Cars

Postby theborg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Roseanne,

I agree with Rick about the specific question of how this invention would make someone's job easier. However, there are many areas where this kind of technology apply in a positive way. The Science Buddies project found here:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

Has alot of additional resources identified as well as a section that discusses careers where this field of science and engineering apply. Check it out.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science