Test glucose content

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: Test glucose content

Postby heatherL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Vish,

Individual variation is the very reason that we need multiple test subjects. It's also why each person will serve as his/her own control, since it would not make sense to compare one person's test food to another person's control. The reported GI for each type of food is likely an average from many different people.

Keep in mind that other factors will affect the GI. As I mentioned, each person needs to be fasted for at least 12 hours and not consume anything before the test. Things like hormone levels (especially of insulin and glucagon) can affect each person's reaction, as well as what the person ate the day before each test. These are variables you cannot control, so you can talk about them in the discussion of your results.

It will be interesting to see if there is at least a consistent trend for GI with the different test foods. Please keep me posted as you collect more data! Once you have the data, I would be happy to help you figure out the best way to present everything.

Best,
Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby bumblebee27 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 am

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the feedback. I will share the info and be happy to get your advice on how to represent the data.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?
Project Due Date: Jan 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby bumblebee27 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Heather,

I wanted to share one thing that I noticed in one of the volunteers blood glucose. It constantly shows a decrease after eating food and only after 2 hours he shows an increase. Also I am trying to measure just the area under the curve starting from baseline( fasting food value) and the value at end of 2 hours. Sometimes I notice the volunteers blood glucose does not come back to the fasting level within 2 hours. So I just the area by extending the curve to the baseline.

Also I am plotting each person data for different food in a single graph for my lab work, using different color for each food. And then plan to calculate the GI using the individual person AUC for different food/ AUC of Bread multiplied by 100.

Once I done calculating the GI of different food for each person, I would put that in another graph to see the variations for same food among the different volunteers.

Will keep you posted.

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Project Question: I am helping 2 kids in my school who are doing science project. One of them travelling to Asia for a 3 week vacation and they wanted to use the trip to compare things which could be different. I suggested to look into astronomy. Is there any other things to consider that one can do a experiment in 2 different countries and compare?

Postby heatherL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Vish,

Thank you for the update! Everything sounds great. It is very interesting that one of your volunteers has an initial dip in blood glucose. I wonder if he or she has a very high insulin response.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to calculate the area under the curve when the blood glucose has not reached baseline by 2 hours. Just extend the graph straight down, rather than assuming a continuation of the curve.

Looking forward to more updates!

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi Heather,

Thanks

I do have a question on plotting the graph. The measure of blood glucose meter is in mg/dl where as I see most of the AUC using mmol/l. DO I need to re-plot the graph after converting to mmol/l.

For now the values for the AUC reading looks like this

1.4740 mg/dl . min
2.2590 mg/dl.min

Regards
Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Vish,

Since the glycemic index is calculated as a percentage of the reference AUC, the most important thing is that your test AUC and reference AUC are in the same units as each other. Since you measured everything with the same glucose meter, that will work for you. So the short answer is no, you do not need to re-plot your graphs.

If you want your results to be comparable to other studies, you could convert mg/dl to mmol/l. To convert from mg of glucose to to mmol, you will use the molecular mass (g/mol) of glucose (by adding the masses of its component elements from the periodic table). To convert from deciliters of solution to liters of solution, note that there are 10 deciliters in a liter.

Since both of these conversions would be the same for every measurement you did - since glucose does not change its molecular mass, and there are always 10 deciliters in a liter - doing the conversion would not change the shape of your graph. You could keep your graphs and just report the converted values for reference in a separate table.

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks Heather.

I will keep the graph as it is. I am wondering if I got to take 2 more trials for the same food or 1 test for each food with 4 volunteer is good?

Regards

Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi Vish,

Since you are measuring GI for four people on multiple foods, I think your experimental design is good. Doing multiple trials on the same individuals could help you account for variation within individuals, but I'm not sure that's the most important thing here. Honestly, I think finding more volunteers would help more than adding trials for the same volunteers. So you can stick with what you have, or see whether you can convince anyone else to participate in your study.

Keep me posted!

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks Heather.

I will try to see if I can find new volunteer. Will keep you posted. Also as I am doing the test I am also making a draft of the content I am planning to use on my board. If you want to review let me know what is the best way to share it.

Regards

Vish
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Vish,

Sounds great! If you are able to put the materials for your board into pdf or jpeg format, you can upload it as an attachement (or multiple attachments, depending on the size) right here on this forum. I would be happy to review them for you.

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Heather. I am working on this and will have most of it done by this weekend.

Meanwhile this was some of the title for the project that me and my partner discussed with our volunteers. let me know what should be the best or suggest us one.

1. Prevent Diabetes. Does the type of carb matter?

2. Does the type of carbohydrate really matter!?

3. What type of carbohydrate harm us the most?

4. How can we prevent diabetic by selecting different carbohydrate.?

5. Should every one know there own Glycemic index for different carbohydrate?
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Vish,

I'm glad things are coming together! :)

It's important to make sure your title reflects what you actually studied. You are not looking at a way to prevent diabetes, but rather what carbohydrates might be better for a diabetic to consume when trying to control his or her blood sugar. I would also avoid implying that carbohydrates harm us, as they are essential macromolecules needed for nutrition!

How about something like the following:
1. Are there "good" carbs? The effects of different carbohydrate foods on glycemic index.
2. How do different carbohydrate foods affect blood sugar?

I hope this helps!

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:23 am

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will discuss this with my partner.

Also when you get a chance pls see the pdf and let us know if it looks ok.

We would like to mention you as our mentor. Please send what info we can add to the project as we wanted to give credit to you for your help.

Regards

Vish
Last edited by bumblebee27 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bumblebee27

Postby heatherL » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi Vish,

Your presentation looks great! I do think you should include the graph to show how you calculated the AUC, since that is easier to explain with a figure.

Overall, you did a very thorough job and you should be very proud.

I am happy to help, and you do not need to give me credit. My name is Heather Liwanag, and you can just say that I am an Expert for Science Buddies.

I hope your presentation goes well!

Heather
heatherL

Postby bumblebee27 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank you Heather. I will keep you posted on how our presentation goes. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Vish
bumblebee27

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences