Science Fair Project Shopping List
Before starting your science project it is wise to make sure you have gotten all the materials and equipment together. Each project from the Science Buddies Project Idea Library has a detailed Materials & Equipment section that lists what you will need for that project and where to buy it. You can also visit our Science Fair Approved Suppliers page for a list of retailers by area of science.
If you prefer one-stop shopping, try our Science Fair Projects with Kits.
During your shopping remember that you will also need supplies for making your Display Board if you plan on showing your project at a science fair.
To make a good science project display board you will need:
- A display board. Most science fairs use a 36" x 48" board like these:
|Elmer's Tri-Fold Display Boards are available in foam or corrugated cardboard and in a selection of colors.|
- Paper for writing or printing. Matte finish cardstock paper is best.
- Adhesives for gluing the paper on to the display board. These work particularly
|Elmer's Board Mate® Adhesives|
To make your science project display board really stand out consider one or more of these items:
- Highly visible lettering for the other sections of your science project. For example stencils and markers or stick on letters like these:
Combine Elmer's Board Mate® reusable stencils and markers or try repositionable Board Mate® Letters & Numbers
- A colorful border and/or construction paper to add visual accents to your display board. Be careful not to make the board so busy that it is difficult to read the text. Borders like these add color without distracting:
Elmer's Board Mate® Borders
- Jumbo lettering for the project title. For example:
Elmer's Jumbo Size (4 inch) Board Mate® Letters & Numbers
- You may even want to put the title on a separate add-on title board at the top of your display board. If so, consider one that is designed to attach directly to a tri-fold display board:
Elmer's Tri-Fold Display Header Card
- Consider using a buddy board, as discussed in the Advanced Display Board Design and Tips page, for summarizing key points or making a layman's overview if you have a complex project.
Elmer's Board Mate® Project Stands are great for propping up buddy boards.
If you are constructing a big display board for a top-level science competition you'll need additional supplies. First, look at the Big Display Boards for Top Fairs page to decide what type of board you want to make. Once you've decided, you will need many of the items above along with:
- Additional foam boards and an X-ACTO knife for trimming the boards:
Elmer's Foam Board Sheets can be easily cut with an X-ACTO knife to add sections on to a traditional Tri-Fold Display Board.
Elmer's ® Project Solution supplies are available at:
For more information on how to make good science fair project display boards consult these resources:
|General display board help||Science Fair Project Display Boards|
|Advanced Display Board Design and Tips|
|Everything You Need to Know About Fonts for Display Boards|
|Sample Display Boards|
|Alternative Display Boards|
|Science Fair Project Shopping List|
| Additional help for
top science competitions
|Big Display Boards for Top Fairs|
|Transporting Your Board|