Part-time Bookkeeper /Office Manager
Science Buddies, www.sciencebuddies.org, directly reaches 19 million students, parents, and teachers with resources that reflect the latest research in how to effectively teach science. We offer unique tools and content not available from any other source. Highly personalized, we empower students to create individualized learning paths with easy-to-use tools that provide science and engineering projects, frameworks, and guidance. Our real-world, hands-on explorations are not only the best way to teach science, they make the subject relevant to students, positively impacting academic achievement and nurturing student interest in science. We expose students to career opportunities and role models that can translate to economic power both for the individual and for communities. We make science literacy possible for everyone.
We are a nimble and diverse team on a mission to help students from all walks of life to build their literacy in STEM so they can become productive and engaged citizens in the 21st century.
We are currently seeking a part-time bookkeeper for remote work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Specific accounting/bookkeeping responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries, and bank reconciliation.
- Process and pay all invoices in a timely manner.
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue.
- Execute monthly payroll activities using a 3rd party payroll service provider.
- Supervise payroll tax returns and filing (done by payroll provider)
- Supervise annual W2 reports (done by payroll provider)
- Supervise annual 1099 reporting process for contractors (done by payroll provider)
- Manage time tracking process for employees and contractors with hours billable to programs, utilizing online time tracking tool, and extract data to make appropriate payroll entries for financial and grant reporting.
- Monitor employee vacation accrual and usage, reporting anomalies to the appropriate manager
- Prepare and deposit 403(b) account transfers
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, budget vs. actual reports and grant-specific financial reports.
- Coordinate with outside CPA in preparation of year-end IRS 990/State CT-12 filings.
- Supervise insurance policies
- Support Executive Director in development and analysis of annual organization budget.
- Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
- Prepare monthly reports binder with key company metrics
- Be key interface with banks and be responsible for cash management (e.g. anticipating cash needs and transferring funds to ensure sufficient cash available at all times).
- Perform non-routine tasks requiring strong judgment and initiative.
- Performing basic HR functions and supporting our senior staff as necessary.
- Maintain Salesforce records.
- Perform data entry tasks to support organization programs.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Accounting degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years work experience in a bookkeeping/accounting function.
- Experience working in nonprofit, mission driven organization.
- Strong Online QuickBooks skills, including all normal accounting transactions, GL management, budgeting, and reporting.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Attention to detail, strong communication, and problem solving are all critical skills for success in this role.
Please email a resume with a tailored cover letter, addressing the characteristics we are looking for to firstname.lastname@example.org.