10 Balloon Science Activities
Engaging student science doesn't always require specialty materials. These 10 hands-on STEM projects all use balloons!
K-12 Science Projects and Activities
Balloons can be used in a wide range of student hands-on science projects. From powering a car or propelling a hovercraft to enabling exploration of rocket science, kids can experiment with physics, aerodynamics, and more using ordinary balloons.
These 10 Science Buddies projects, activities, and Lesson Plans use balloons:
- An Uplifting Project—The Buoyancy of Balloons: experiment to find out how quickly balloons lose their lift over time.
- Balloon Morphing: How Gases Contract and Expand: investigate how gases expand and contract with temperature.
- Balloon-Powered Car Challenge: design and build a balloon-powered car that will travel as far and fast as possible. You can use Google's Science Journal app with this project for added tech fun!
- How Does a Hovercraft Hover?: build a mini hovercraft and investigate how the amount of air in the balloon affects how long the hovercraft hovers.
- Racing to Win That Checkered Flag: How Do Gases Help?: explore the science behind why race car tires are filled with nitrogen gas.
- Rubbing Up Against Static Electricity: see how the number of times you rub wool on a balloon increases or decreases how long the static charge will last.
- Stretchy Balloon Science: learn more about the stretchiness of materials used for balloons.
- How Fish Sink and Float: use a balloon to model how a fish's swim bladder helps keep it buoyant.
- Balloon Car (Lesson Plan): explore the engineering design process and kinetic and potential energy by building and racing balloon-powered cars.
- Two-Stage Balloon Rocket (Lesson Plan): build a multi-stage balloon rocket and explore rocket science and Newton's laws of motion.
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 5 Summer Science Picks for Independence Day!
- Simple Science Activities with Cardboard Tubes
- 10 Fun Wintry Science Activities
- Make some noise with three new science activities!
- Nine creative science projects to make and give!
- Food Science Projects
- 11 Launch and Catapult Science Projects
- 10 Boat and Submarine Science Projects
Explore Our Science Videos
Physics and Chemistry of an Explosion Science Fair Project Idea
How to Build an ArtBot
Flower Dissection - STEM Activity