Bug and Insect STEM Roundup
Hands-on STEM projects for K-12 students that want to get hands-on with insects, worms, and other species in the backyard. Take advantage of warmer weather and time outside for bug, worm, or flying insect science this summer with your kids.
Bug, Insect, and Nature-focused Projects for Students
- Are There Bugs Under Your Feet?
- Ask a Cricket, 'What is The Temperature?'
- Bug Vacuums: Sucking up Biodiversity
- Build a Better Moth Trap: Will Different-colored Lights Affect How Many Moths You Catch?
- Do Milkweed Bugs Show a Color Preference for Egg-Laying Sites?
- Does Temperature Affect the Rate of Butterfly Development?
- Drawing Circles Around Ants
- Feeding Earthworms: Do Different Diets Affect Them and the Soil They Enrich?
- Go and Stop? Ant Traffic Signals
- How Much Worm Is a Worm?
- Making Species Maps
- What Is Home Sweet Home to a Bug?
- What is the Most Effective Treatment for Whitefly Infestations on Plants?
- Where Do Earthworms Hang Out When Food Is Around?
A Career in STEM
To learn more about careers related to bugs, insects, species habitats and the environment, see the following science career profiles:
For additional reading, see the following posts on the Science Buddies Blog:
- A Honeybee Mystery: Science Reading
- Calling Naturalists of All Ages: Citizen Science Projects for the Whole Family
- Caterpillar Spotting Leads to Citizen Science
- Citizen Science for Earth Day
- Earth Day: Turn Over a New Log
- Glow-in-the-dark Nighttime Summer Science
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Holiday STEAM Projects to Make and Give
- 16 Projects to Jump-start Your Makerspace
- 12 Activities and Lessons to Teach Potential and Kinetic Energy
- Fall Science - Free STEM Activities for Autumn Fun
- Halloween STEM Activities
- Teaching Biotechnology at All Grade Levels
- 10+ Activities and Lessons to Teach Plant Science
- Explore COVID-19 and Virus Science and Health with Free STEM Activities
Explore Our Science Videos
Two-Stage Balloon Rocket Introduction
Vibration & Sound: Make Sprinkles Dance
Paper Roller Coasters - Fun STEM Activity!