Stored Chemical Energy in Nut (Calories)

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

britter4

Stored Chemical Energy in Nut (Calories)

Post by britter4 »

I'm currently working on a science experiment called "Energy Nuts". In my project I burn several different types of nut. I leave the heat produced from the burning nuts heat the water. I then take the ending waster temp to see which nut contained the most stored chemical energy. Would you be welling to offer any further suggestions in my project. I also need to know what the major variable is in my experiment. I would think it would be the nut but I'm not certain. I have also been told of a formula to calculate the number of calories each not stored. Is it possible you could explain the formula to me?

Your help would be greatly appreciate. I wish to do my best on my project but I think I need a little help.
shijun

Post by shijun »

This is an interesting experiment! One idea that comes to my mind is conducting your experiment with different types of nuts e.g. peanuts, cashew, etc and see which one is able to elevate the temperature of the water the most (releasing the largest amount of calories). So in this case, your independent variable would be the type of nuts and your dependent variable would be the temperature of the water.

Check out this link for reference:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... bles.shtml

Shijun
britter4

Thank you!

Post by britter4 »

Shijun, your reply was a big help to me. Thank you!! I really appreciate your help....
shijun

Post by shijun »

You are very welcome. Glad I could help!

Shijun
Science Buddies Staff

Return to “General Questions”