does cork,rubber balls, or sawdust when put into hollowed ..

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

libbywilson

does cork,rubber balls, or sawdust when put into hollowed ..

Post by libbywilson »

my idea is: do cork, rubber balls, or sawdust whenput into hollowed out wooden baseball bats effect how far the ball travels and how fast it goes when hit compared to a regular bat? to eliminate the variables i was going to build a batting machine and put each bat into it at turn and hit it off a tee, because using people wouldnt work. Do you think this a good idea? i really like this idea a lot! :D
" what goes up must come down ppl!" ~~~*Libby*~~~~
libbywilson

Post by libbywilson »

well i got the bats hollowed out yesterday and i am getiing my science fair proposal slip returned to me at school today so i will post how the other scientists in my school thought i did. thanks! :D
Ken

Is a project about corked bats a good one?

Post by Ken »

Is your idea a good one?

The most common error in choosing a science fair project is to choose one that you are not very interested in. You seem to be genuinely interested in the idea of corking bats, and therefore this idea automatically has one point for it. Not a bad start. Also, it is a timely question, what with the recent problems with Sammy Sosa. Another point in its favor.

Background research for this experiment may be a bit hard. I found 3 technical references within a few minutes, but they were pretty short on theory; however, with email and the number of interested physicists around, I think this can be overcome. Add zero points. The experiment is practical and doable. I can think of at least two interesting ways of doing it. Plus another point.

As for tips on the experiment, why don't you let us know your ideas first. You might also want to check out our web page "Engineering & Programming Project Tips" at https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ring.shtml

All in all, this is a reasonable idea for a project.

PS -- Have you thought about using something gloppy like filling the bat 1/2 full of jello, and what would happen if it is all the way filled with jello?

Keith Jobe helped with this answer. Mr. Jobe designs and builds electron particle accelerators and diagnostic instrumentation at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (at Stanford). He would be glad to answer further questions on this project if you provide more details on your ideas.

Ken -- Science Buddies Staff
libbywilson

Post by libbywilson »

thanks i will be sure to go to that website and check it out. thanks so much! :D
libbywilson

need more help

Post by libbywilson »

does anyone know what a dependent variable is and what a independent variable is? I kee p seeing them on various sites on this wesite and I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP! Thanks. :shock:

libby
Ken

Independent & Dependent Variables

Post by Ken »

You can find the answer here on the "Variables and Hypothesis" page: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... bles.shtml. An even better idea would be to read all the "How to Do a Science Fair Project" pages. They're all linked in the menu for the above page.

Ken
Ken

Colloquium: Professor Alan Nathan

Post by Ken »

You might be interested in this lecture if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Monday, Dec. 1 2003 4:15 pm
Panofsky Auditorium, (Refreshments-3:45),
SLAC Departmental Colloquium
Speaker: Professor Alan Nathan
"The Physics of Hitting a Home Run"

For a baseball fan, there are few things more satisfying than hearing that sharp distinctive crack of the bat announcing that the ball is on its way to the centerfield seats. For a physicist, there are few things more satisfying than figuring out how something works. And for a physicist who is also a baseball fan, it is pure ecstasy to have figured out much of what is going on during that very brief instant of time when ash meets cowhide. I will try to convey a bit of that excitement as I step you through the physics of hitting a home run. I will focus on two broad topics: the physics of the ball-bat collision and the aerodynamics of the ball in flight. In doing so, I will address various topics from a physics point of view, such as the effect of a "juiced" baseball, the "sweet spot" of the bat, the advantages (or not) of "corking" a bat, the differences between wood and aluminum bats, and the role of spin in the flight of the ball. My goal is that all who attend find something of interest in this talk, whether it be baseball, physics, or the link between them.
libbywilson

Post by libbywilson »

im really sorry i couldnt go to that lecture. i was looking forward to it but i was busy. oh well, maybey next time. :(

Return to “General Questions”