An experiment ideas?

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

gracielou

An experiment ideas?

Post by gracielou »

Just wondering if you knew of any science experiments I could do to determine amounts of soil in water samples. I am doing a soil erosion project and have full use to a modern laboratory and a wide range of substances. Could I strain the water and weigh the soil? Could I evaporate the water and weigh the soil? Would either of these methods be accurate? Please reply ASAP
Thanks
shijun

Post by shijun »

Either technique would work if you have the right equipment, and of course, the type of soil also makes a big difference. For example, evaporation sounds better for soil w/ finer molecules. If you choose to strain the water, then you should be careful about not letting the soil get lost with the water. On the other hand, if you choose to evaporate the water, you need to be careful about completely getting rid of all the water. Think about the type of equipment that you have and then make a decision. You are on the right track!

Shijun
Science Buddies Staff
gracielou

Thanks

Post by gracielou »

Thanks so much. I think I will use very fine filter paper and strain the water through.
Thanks again

Return to “General Questions”