Handwashing

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

CMT

Handwashing

Post by CMT »

I want to do a handwashing experiement
but on the experiement I need to make an
experiment data analysis
with an independent variable (xaxis)
and a dependent variable (units) Y axis
I need to have a title
and lable the axis

can this be done for this handwashing experiment?

I also need to make a bar graph or a line graph

I am not sure what to do this on, should I watch people in a bathroom and see how many wash their hands and how good they do it?

My question is on handwashing
and does handwashing prevent the spread of infection

I need to do a hypothesis

and I need to list all items used at a time

I was going to use soap
water
paper towel

what else should I use?

What advice would you give me?

Data states that I should use some type of scientific instrument or method to measure count or record results

must have quantitive data in table/chart format and graphed line or bar, need to label variables and have titles on all data tables and graphs

Can you help?

Thanks
also

SOME TYPE OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENT OR METHOD TO MEASURE< COUNT OR RECORD RESULTS

LABEL VARIABLES AND HAVE TITLES ON ALL DATA TABLES AND GRAPHS

HELP FAST
Ken

Making Handwashing Quantitative

Post by Ken »

Here are some pointers I can give you:

1) Yes, you can make a handwashing experiment quantitative. Have you thought about your variables (those things that change)? Since your question is on preventing the spread of infection, have you thought about how you are going to measure this? For example, those people who use brand ABC has SOME PERCENT less germs on their hands after a 1 minute wash than using brand XYZ. This is still hard to measure because you won't really know if all the other variables are the same e.g. the temperature of the water, how hard to scrub your hands, etc.

2) So I would suggest you spend some more time thinking about a question that contains potential data that are easily measurable and thus quantifiable.

3) As for making graphs, Microsoft Excel is an excellent program to use (if you have it on your computer and know someone who can show you how to use it). If you want to go low-tech, then you can of course use graphing paper and clearly lable your axes. Remember, the independent variable (e.g. time) usually forms the x-axis, and the dependent variable (e.g. how many germs are left), usually forms the y-axis.

4) Your hypothesis is your prediction of what's going to happen (simply an educated guess). E.g. I think ABC is the best brand of handsoap available, and therefore after a typical wash, a person will have 20% fewer germs on his or her hands than useing brand XYZ.

5) For measuring things, you will definitely want to have the appropriate scientific instruments. E.g. if you are measuring time, then you definitely want to have a stopwatch that is precise to a certain limit (e.g. hundredth of a second).

Shijun -- Science Buddies Staff

Return to “General Questions”