Air speed and lift

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Egglet24

Air speed and lift

Post by Egglet24 »

I'm doin my science fair on an wind tunnel putting a scale inside the tunnel. Then I will place the objects on the scale and get the weight of the object. Then turn the fan on and see if the wind will cause the difference in the weight of the object. Which in return is the lift of the object. Right now i'm stuck on how to make the wind tunnel. So if someone could help me out with this show me plans or directions that would be great. Because this is the only thing that is holding me up right now. Thank you
kenzad01

Post by kenzad01 »

It seems that it will be a design problem to minimize the effects of the scale body. a test will be to operate the wind tunnel without the "lifting body".--to see what happens.

A low cost way is to use a fan and a cardboard tunnel. Better glued together and taped. Of course fiberglass or metal would be more expensive. However hardware stores carry sheet metal flashing in steel and aluminum.. Your measurements will only be relative because to get true results you would have top consider the vectors of forces created by your fan. Then ther is the non-laminar flow error also. Look in the library more info. Fans (household types) recirculate a lot of the air.

KZ
Kenneth A. Zadwick

Return to “General Questions”