Elemental Analysis: Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometer

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Elemental Analysis: Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometer

Post by tdaly »

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is Terik Daly. I am an advanced research student at Oak Grove High School in San Jose California. My current research project involves determining whether or not granatics, the most common rocks in continental crust, go through the depletion of volatile, siderophile, refractory-lithophile, and ferromagnesium elements occurs at a measurable, predictable rate when undergoing S6 shock metamorphism. To do this, I will need to establish a baseline value for each element in the granatic specimens. I have the specimens, but to establish this baseline value, I require the use of a glow discharge mass spectrometer. I have checked with the Menlo Park office of the USGS, but they do not have a GDMS machine. If you have any information regarding the whereabbouts of a GDMS machine, please inform me so that I can contact those responsible for it, to discuss possible use of the machine.
All the best,
Terik
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

The only place in SJ that has a glow discharge mass spectrometer (that I could find out on the web) is:

Finnigan MAT, 355 River Oaks Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134-1991 • Phone (408) 433-4800 • Fax (408) 434-1135

I have no idea if they would let you use it.

I hope this helps.
~Matt Durstenfeld
science buddies expert
tdaly
Former Expert

Thank You

Post by tdaly »

Thank You very much!!!
All the best,
Terik
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Terik,
Did you call Finnigan to see if they would let you use their GDMS? Did they let you? If you have not called yet, I might be able to help you get in touch with them and ask on your behalf. Let me know if you need help at.
Courtney
Science Buddies Staff
tdaly
Former Expert

GDMS

Post by tdaly »

No, I have not been able to contact Finnagin. I would appreciate any assistance you can give.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “General Questions”