Homemade rice paper

Questions about hands-on science and engineering activities.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

tali_c

Homemade rice paper

Post by tali_c »

Hello,
I am new here so I'm not sure if my question is relevant to this forum but I just came across the video about how to make an edible rice paper and I would love to try it but unfortunately I have no microwave so I just wanted to ask if it's possible to do using an oven instead. And I was also wondering if maybe there is a way of creating something similar using a gelatine and if someone has already tried it.
Thank you so much in advance, hope it wasn't too silly question to ask.
EmmaGriffiths
Student Expert

Re: Homemade rice paper

Post by EmmaGriffiths »

Hello!

First of all, I wanted to thank you for this question. I hadn't seen this activity until I saw your question -- I may have to try it for myself! It sounds like fun.

I'm sure an oven will work just as well as a microwave since the purpose is to dry the paper. Since an oven is larger and can get hotter than a microwave, the timing may differ. Make sure you are careful using the oven!

As for using a gelatin, I'm not quite sure. When I think of paper, the ingredients are more starchy and dry. However, I wouldn't throw the idea out -- it is definitely worth experimenting!

And last of all, there is no need to worry about silly questions. Asking questions is what helps us understand the world around us and the things we are interested in. You can ask as many questions as you would like.

I hope you have fun with your activity! Let us know if you need any more help :)

Emma

Return to “STEM Activities”