Understanding "How Fast is Your Computer"

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
cheko

Understanding "How Fast is Your Computer"

Post by cheko »

Ok im doing my science fair on "How Fast is your Computer" https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

K I'm trying to stick as close as I can to the article from that link up top but I am having trouble understanding it. I read it and I understand it, it's just that if I go and do it I don't no what I'm doing. Are you following me? Well the point is I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO OR THE PURPOSE OF THIS TOPIC. When people ask me what I'm doing I'm just like "I dunno". So I need a favor from some1 so I can understand what I am doing and gee if you can do that you well be my best friend forever cuz I've been reading it for 3 or 4 weeks and still don't understand it :!:

This is what I want you to do. Make sure all your answers and detailed and easy to understand for some1 with a IQ of 2 (that's me). I want you to tell me the sole purpose of this project. Then tell me everything in steps of what I need to do to conduct this experiment. If you can tell me this I might be able to understand what I'm doing. Reply back quickly!! This science fair is due Mon. 13 (in 7 days) and Im desperate!!! Thanks A lot man

Che-ko - https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home
Im che-ko the majorly confused person whos doing a science fair project.
Taed
Former Expert

Post by Taed »

Based on your message, it sounds like you're frustrated because you're in over your head trying to do a project that's too complex.

Remember that no one here wants to tell you what to do. We want to help you do what you want to do. We're not your science teacher, but your science "buddies"...

That project assumes that you know and understand computer programming a bit.

So, I think that you need to step back and take the parts that you can understand and come up with a simpler project.

Or perhaps pick another project in a different subject area that you can understand?
cheko

Post by cheko »

doesnt matter now man. read my other post. i dont have enough memory on my computer to install java so i talked to my teacher and she said choose another topic or something and well talk about it
Im che-ko the majorly confused person whos doing a science fair project.
peterson

Post by peterson »

Ugh... Im trying to work on this same one. My problem is that i dont know what program is used to write java programming language and stuff i mean do these virtual office have it? Is it like a free program or do i have to by it? Kthanx

[Note: URL removed.]
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Understanding "How Fast is Your Computer"

Post by davidkallman »

peterson wrote:Ugh... Im trying to work on this same one. My problem is that i dont know what program is used to write java programming language and stuff i mean do these virtual office have it? Is it like a free program or do i have to by it? Kthanx
Generally, one would use a text editor to enter programs: wordpad, if you have MSoffice, or notepad, which is built into the operating system. Note, I'm using a macintosh, so I don't have direct access to these programs. If you have any questions about their use, someone else will need to help out.

[Note: URL removed.]
Cheers!

Dave
wildfirefox
Former Expert

Post by wildfirefox »

Hi Peterson:

I may overstepping my bound for the time being, since I just barely signed into the Ask The Expert forum. But let me give you my 2 cents because I do webpage programming and a techno-geek.

1. The page you've posted:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

This page contains a java window near the bottom of the page that allows you to do a calculation within itself.

2. If you see a window/box at the bottom of the webpage, that means you have java installed. If not, you can download the java software at:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

- If you have Windows, scroll down on the page and hit the Download button next to the text "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 3".

If you can visit this website and post your thoughts, that means your system have the sufficient processing power and memory to run the java software. The question would be, do you have enough hard drive space to install the free java software. That, you have to ask your parents if you're at home, or your teacher if you're in class.

Please, let us know what you found from talking to your parents or teacher about the computer you're using.
Those who can see that do not exist are geniuses. Those who can see what exists are brilliant. Those cannot see what exists are ignorant.
- Lao Tsu

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”