Finance Experiment and Research

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
leon.hu

Finance Experiment and Research

Post by leon.hu »

My experiment title is "The Effect of the Federal Interest Rates on the Value of Stocks, Government Bonds, and American Currency". Does anyone have any good websites and/or books to help me with my research and data collection? Any other help will be generously accepted! (Good thing I didn't procrastinate on this one...) :lol:
Thanks!

Leon
vick_panwar
Former Expert

Post by vick_panwar »

This is an interesting topic.

You might consider breaking down your topic into separate smallet topics at first to gain better understanding of how the federal reserver regulates the interest rates and the currency.

Here is a link I found on the topic -
http://www.invest-faq.com/articles/regu ... serve.html

It also contains a recommendation for a book by William Greider titled "Secrets of the temple: How the Federal Reserve runs the country".
You can read the comments by following the link.

Later, you would want to gain better understading of the stock market and how it works. There is plenty of information on this topic on the web.

Finally putting it all together and coming to you topic to research. Here are a few links that talk about stock market fluctuation with respect to the changes in interest rate.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/132.asp
http://stocks.about.com/od/evaluatingst ... 110904.htm

Good luck.
leon.hu

Thanks!

Post by leon.hu »

Thank you so much! Those links were awesome! But is there a way to actually get the historical Federal Interest Rates?
Thanks!

Leon
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

The historical federal interest rates are often available in textbooks (e.g. American Pageant). Talk to your history teacher; s/he can probably be of great help to you.
All the best,
Terik
leon.hu

Post by leon.hu »

I think I will take out the American Currency part of the project because it doesn't always depend on the federal interest rates. Should I use the federal discount rates for my project? Is there an online source of historical federal interest rates? :roll:
Thanks!

Leon
leon.hu

Post by leon.hu »

And...should I use discount federal rates or federal funds rates for my project? 8)
Thanks!

Leon
scibudadmin
Site Admin

New Topic Thread

Post by scibudadmin »

A spam message was posted to this thread. During our attempts to remove the spam message we had to split some of the messages from the original topic thread. They have been moved to the new topic "Finance Experiment and Research *Continued*"

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
Melissa Glass
Program Administrator

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”